There are a few collectors today that will never use pottery other than for decoration. However, some people also use handmade ceramics and pottery for their intended use.
Remember, awesome handmade ceramics and pottery pieces are usually sturdy, food safe, microwaveable, and dishwater safe. It is really made to be last with daily use.
Good uses for pottery
Ceramics is actually used quite often in the modern age. You can find ceramics in NASA space shuttles, modern dentistry, and even computers.
But let’s not talk about that. What you’d rather want to know, I think, is how pottery and ceramics can be used in your daily life.
1. Storage – During ancient times pottery was used to store whatever ancient people want to store during those times. Well, even if we live in 2014 we still need something to store our stuff in. Pottery is a practical and stylish way to organize and keep toys, kitchen utensils, and even power tools in the house.
2. Serving food – Yeah, even if we don’t live in the British isles we can still enjoy an afternoon of brisket and a cup of tea, right? Serving these food stuff in gorgeous ceramic bowls and tea cups will make your afternoon more relaxing and enjoyable. Plus you’ll definitely impress your high-brow friends.
3. Cooking – I already said that ceramics and pottery are sturdy. But I forgot to tell you that it is also heat resistant which makes it awesome for cooking. Don’t blame me if your cooking tastes bad. Don’t blame your ceramic cookware either. Hey, at least you are cooking in style, right?
4. Pottery gifts – Put some exotic coffee and biscuits in your pottery piece. Put it in colorful gift wrapper. Tie it with a red ribbon. Boom! Instant unique gift idea that the coffee drinker in your life will appreciate. If you want to gift a kid, just put candies and some egg surprise toys in there.
This is going to be one of those fluffy passages
Yes, this part of the article will be fluffy. I want to say that the uses for pottery and ceramics are limited only by your imagination.
But really, is that true? Of course not.
See, can you use pottery to grow egg plants in your backyard? Well, this is actually a bad example ‘coz you really can use pottery to grow plants. But you know what I mean.
That said, if you want to know about new way to use pottery, I don’t think I can teach you anything else than what is written above. Pottery is such a simple and elegant piece that it was made to address such specific but primitive problems.
Obviously there are a lot of things that can do things better than pottery. However, there is just something unique and awesome about handmade pottery.
There seems to be an unexplainable energy in this thing that makes it beautiful and most wanted. Regardless of that, pottery and ceramics will last long even after most modern conveniences go away.
- 10000Handmade pottery have been popular for centuries and still used to today. Much better designed but very relevant none the less. They were among the first utensils used by humans to cook and eat food and there is a mystery and beauty with handmade pottery. If you don't have one, or never made one for yourself,…
- 10000Trying to differentiate and understand the differences between ceramics is a challenging task. Especially when you need to buy some new dinnerware. For most people, the choice of a household crockery is determined by the design and utility rather than quality and durability of the pieces. However, it is very important to note that mugs,…
- 10000There’s nothing as good as having something of sentimental value in your home that you spent time creating. While at times you may have a hard time coming up with something that you would find useful that you can make yourself, you can start with pottery. The good thing is this applies to a variety…
- 10000If you have a ceramic art lying around your and you want to know the value of it, I can help. With over 13 years of professional experience in appraising ceramics and art, simply contact me using the form below. We can then discuss the types of appraisals and evaluation you would like. If you…
- 41Art is fascinating. Especially the wide variety of art that comes from ceramics and pottery. This site is named crackleART because of the dedication it takes to perfect something as "simple" as crackle or crazing on ceramics. It's an age old technique passed down for generations. It doesn't get much recognition and that's why I…